Friday, February 2, 2024

15th July 2022: My Trip to Stendal

Stendal is a town in the German State of Saxony-Anhalt. It is a former member of the Hanseatic League and is known as unofficial capital of the Altmark Region. It preserves a picturesque old town. Stendal Station is the most important interchange and rail hub in the north of Saxony-Anhalt.

Johann Joachim Winckelmann, the father of the modern archaeology and the discipline of art history, was born in Stendal in 1717. In 1955 the only Winckelmann Museum in the World was opened there. I really enjoyed this museum, which shows exhibits about Winckelmann's life and work as well as some copies of Ancient statues.



Here are two more cards about Stendal's medieval architecture.

I had visited Stendal, because a special stamp about the city's 1000th anniversary was issued on 7th July 2022. These two cards I sent to myself with the stamp and special postmarks. They arrived on 26th and 27th July. 


No comments:

Post a Comment