Monday, May 18, 2020

Germany: Martin Luther

Last Thursday I got two postcards from Germany.

Back in 2017 I created a small collection of stamps, cards and special postmarks about the Lutheran Reformation and still today I am happy when there is a new postmark from time to time. The latest one was used in Erfurt in April to celebrate the introduction of the Reformation to the city in 1520. Luckily while cleaning I recently found the perfect postcard for the postmark. I got it in 2017 and back then planned to turn it into a maxicard. The stamp (issued 13-04-2017) on the front side I had already affixed, but I never used it. Very nice now for this postmark is that the card actually shows the same portrait of Luther. On my history blog you can see more things from this little collection.


On the backside you can see that this card is an ad-card for an exhibition in Wittenberg. An additional stamp on the back side had to be used, as a stamp on the side which does not bear the address is not regarded as postage in Germany.


The second card shows also Luther. I bought it in Wolfenbüttel before I would knew that I find the perfect card.


On this card I used a special version of the Luther stamp. It is from a booklet which also includes Germany's EUROPA stamp of 2017 showing the Wartburg Castle (issued 11-05-2017).


No comments:

Post a Comment