Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Germany: Hildegard Wegscheider

On 21st September I got three postcards: two from Germany and one from Japan.

One of the cards from Germany shows many things that are used in school. I bought this card in my home town. 

I used this stamp about the 150th birthday of Hildegard Wegscheider (issued 02-09-2021) and sent it to me with the First Day Special Postmark. Hildegard Wegscheider was the first woman in Prussia to pass the Abitur. She later founded the first private girls' school with gymnasial education in 1900 and after 1921 she was a social democratic member of the Prussian parliament. After the Nazis took power in 1933, she was removed from all here duties, worked as private teacher and became active in the resistance. A truely fascinating woman! And I share a birthday with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment