Friday, November 26, 2021

My Trips to Hildesheim

The museums in Hildesheim are once again showing some interesting exhibitions I wanted to visit. However this time I took enough time and actually came twice.

The first trip was on 20th October. During this trip I only visited the Roemer- und Pelizaeus-Museum, which currently shows a big special exhibition about the cultural history of plagues. In different sections you can see how humans have dealt with various diseases throughout history and although Covid-19 is one of the themes and the reason why the exhibition had to be postponed, it is not the reason why the exhibition was created. The planning began long before the current pandemic, which however gives it a bigger public interest. Like so often no cards for the exhibition were available, but I bought these four of the Ancient Egyptian collection, which is among the 30 largest in the World. 


I returned a week later on 26th October to visit the Cathedral Museum. Their current exhibition is called Frauenwelten (Women's Worlds) and shows the connection of exhibits from the museum's collection to two female convents in the region and thus gives insight into the life of Medieval women. I bought six cards in the museum. The first two show interior views and the other four show exhibits, the first three of them are actually part of the current exhibition.



I have been in Hildesheim multiple times in the last years, but usually I just go straight from train station to museum and back. As the weather on this day was so good, I actually went on a walk and used the scenic route back to the train station.

This card shows Saint Godehard. It is a basilica minor and its Romanesque architecture remained nearly unaltered and undamaged through the centuries. Godehard was an influential bishop of Hildesheim in the 11th century. This church was began right after his canonization in 1133. 

The next card shows the Kehrwiederturm, the last remaining tower of Hildesheim's city walls.

After my walk I still had more time and visited the City Museum in the Knochenhaueramtshaus. I stood in front of this building, which is said to be the most beautiful timber-framed house in the World, a few times, but I have never before visited the museum inside. It gives a good overview of Hildesheim's history from pre-Roman times to the present. A focus of the first floor is the Hildesheim Treasure. Unearthed in 1868, it is the largest collection of Roman silver found outside imperial frontiers. The museum however only shows replicas of the pieces, as the originals are kept in Berlin.





The last card I bought in the tourist information and it is a nice addition for my growing collection of train stations. This however is not how Hildesheim's train station looks today. Although this version was not badly damaged in World War II, it was demolished in 1959 and replaced by a more modern building.

No comments:

Post a Comment