Friday, February 5, 2016

Antarctica: Card sent from McMurdo Station

On Wednesday I got two postcards: my first card mailed from Antarctica and one from Ukraine.

Although I already have some cards of Antarctica sent from the countries having a claim on parts of it or sent with stamps issued to be used on the continent, this is my first card that was actually mailed from there.

The card shows an iceberg, penguins and a satellite view of Antarctica.


The card was sent from the US post office at the McMurdo Station.
The McMurdo Station was opened in 1955. It is operated by the USA and is the largest community in Antarctica. It is located in the part of Antarctica claimed by New Zealand.


In December I swapped with someone from the USA, who offered me a card sent from Antarctica. My swap partner sent this card to the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis, as one of the teacher there, who was going on a expedition in early 2016 researching Weddell seals in Antarctica, offered to send cards from there if they reached them pre-addressed and pre-stamped by the 18th December 2015.
The card was sent by my swap partner to Memphis in an envelope, travelled to Antarctica and now reached me. ^__^

Big Thank You to Jennifer, who helped me to get this card, and to Mrs Eilers, who gave postcrosser the possibility to get their cards from Antarctica!

3 comments:

  1. Great Card. I recently received a cover from McMurdo.
    http://pstcrd.blogspot.de/2016/01/antarctica-mcmurdo-station.html

    The postmarks seem to be a bit different

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got the postcard! Thanks for swapping with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Handmade Necklace Set

    ReplyDelete