Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Germany: German Oil Museum in Wietze

Long time no see. I was on holidays and afterwards very busy due to an exam, but now I try to slowly get back to my cards. I have already scanned everything that arrived during my abscence and that I bought while I was away and will show it to you in the coming weeks. 

Let's start with this postcard from Germany which arrived on 30th July before my holidays began. It is from the German Oil Museum and shows an old photo of an oilfield in Wietze. The small village of Wietze in the German State of Lower Saxony has played a special role in the history of crude oil extraction. As early as 1652 the oil from mineral deposits at Wietze was scooped from tar pits on the surface and used as a grease and medicament. In 1858 one of the first boreholes in the World for the extraction of oil was sunk here and between 1900 and 1920 it was the most productive German oilfield. From 1920 to 1963 oil was also extracted from underground mines. The German Oil Museum was opened in 1970 on a part of Wietze's oilfield and deals with the origin, extraction and use of crude oil with a special focus on Wietze. 


On the backside there is a seal of the German Oil Museum. One of the two stamps of the Bonn panorama issued on 2nd January 2020 was used on this card and it got cancelled with the Covid-19 postmark from the mail sorting centre 29 in Celle.


Thank You very much Claas!

No comments:

Post a Comment