Saturday, July 28, 2018

My Stamp Order from Romania

Last Wednesday I got my stamp order from Romania.

Among others I ordered a set of three maxicards showing buildings in Sighişoara (issued 24-07-2009). Sighişoara is a small town in Transylvania. It was founded by German craftsmen and merchants known as the Saxons of Transylvania and is famous for its medieval monuments built by this now extinct culture that testify to the city's former strategic and commercial role on the fringes of central Europe. The Historic Centre of Sighişoara is since 1999 on the UNESCO World Heritage List.



 Another maxicard I ordered is about the EUROPA stamp of the year 2000 (issued 09-05-2000).


I also bought this stamp set about the Romanian Postage Stamp Day, which commemorates the battles of Marasti, Marasesti and Oituz (issued 14-07-2017).

When Romania entered World War I alongside the Entente in 1916, there were soon some victories of the Romanian forces aided by Russia, but when the Central Powers started to fight back, big parts of Romania were occupied by the end of 1916. The three battles of Marasti, Marasesti and Oituz, which were fought in July and August 1917 and which all ended with Romanian successes, left the remaining Romanian territories unoccupied and seemed like a relief, but the situation once again took a turn for the worse for Romania in November 1917, when Russia's involvement in the war ended with the October Revolution. Romania was then forced to sign an armistice with the Central Powers on 9th December 1917, which was later followed by the Treaty of Bucharest. 


This is one FDC which I ordered as well. It was issued on 29th November 2006 and is part of a joint issue with Bulgaria, which celebrated the accession of the two countries to the European Union. Interestingly the stamps of both countries are affixed to the cover.


You can see the other stamps I bought on my stamp blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment