Sunday, September 26, 2021

My Trip to Halle an der Saale

Nearly three months without posts is really too much, but other things prevented me from writing here or actually from doing most things mail-related. As I was already behind with uploading mail, when I last posted, I now have a rather big pile of cards and covers to slowly show you in the coming weeks.

Although it now feels like an eternity away, not even four months ago, on 12th June, I was in Halle an der Saale, the largest city in the German State of Saxony-Anhalt. These are the cards I bought during that short day trip.

The start of day and my main reason for visiting Halle was the Halle State Museum of Prehistory, one of the largest archaeological museums in Germany. It was founded in 1819 and moved to its current location in 1918. Home to more than 15million items, its collection includes such highlights as the Hornhausen Rider Stele, but the true star of the museum is the Nebra Sky Disc, the oldest known astronomic depiction of the sky in human history and part of the UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. Until January 2022 it is still possible to see the original disc in a big special exhibition, but also the permanent exhibitions are worth the visit.






After some hours of archaeology I went to the Moritzburg, but there I only bought some cards in the shop and did not visit the museum itself. The medieval Moritzburg is home to one of the most important museums of modern and contemporary art and general applied art in Germany. It shows for example works by Lyonel Feininger and Gustav Klimt. 



Instead of modern art I preferred to visit the Handel Haus. This is the house where Georg Friederich Händel was born in 1685. It houses a museum about Händel and Halle's musical history and is also home to a large collection of musical instruments.


Like usual during such a trip I also bought some cards of sights I have not seen at all. These two cards show the Hallors and Saline Museum and the Stadtgottesacker, a cemetery.

More interesting however are these two cards I bought at the Halle State Museum of Prehistory about the Goseck Circle. The Goseck Circle is a Neolithic structure that was discovered in 1991 and which is thematised in the museum's special exhibition.

For reason I could see the museum also sold this card of the Baroque Hundisburg Palace.

I definitely enjoyed my day in Halle, but my travel companions on the other hand had no interest in giving the city a chance and immediately drove to Leipzig after they dropped me in front of the museum. To prove that they really left the city they bought me these five cards of Leipzig's Saint Thomas Church.



No comments:

Post a Comment