Sunday, November 11, 2018

RMS Leinster and Armistice Centenary

100 years ago the Entente and the German Empire signed the Armistice of Compiègne and thus brought an end to World War I. 

Perfect in time for the jubilee I got a new World War I card from Ireland on Monday. It shows RMS Leinster. RMS Leinster was an Irish ship that was used for Royal Mail service. On 10th October 1918, when she was on her way between Ireland and Wales, she was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine. Over 500 people lost their lives. Still today this is the greatest single loss of life in the Irish Sea.


With a matching stamp:
RMS Leinster 1918 (issued 10-10-2018)


Thank You very much Sile!

On Tuesday I also got this year's British stamps about World War I (issued 20-09-2018), which I had ordered online.




In the last four years I built up a collection of World War I postcards, stamps and postmarks. In the last months I have rearranged my collection and wrote six new posts on my history blog. Now you can see the complete series here. I will continue my World War I collection until the end of the year to fill some gaps and will then stop it. A big Thank You to everyone who have helped me! ^___^

No comments:

Post a Comment