Sunday, May 26, 2019

My Trip to Quedlinburg

Last Sunday I was in Quedlinburg and there I bought some cards for my collection.

Quedlinburg is a small city in the German State of Saxony-Anhalt. It is especially known for its role in Ottonian history. The Collegiate Church, the Castle and the Old Town of Quedlinburg are since 1994 on the UNESCO World Heritage List.


The Collegiate Church is located on the castle hill. It was originally built as burial site for King Henry I, but was later mainly used as main church of the Quedlinburg Abbey, which was founded in 936 by Henry's widow Mathilda as his memorial. The current church was built between 1070 and 1129 in the Romanesque style after three earlier churches on the same site had been destroyed. Today the church houses the cathedral treasure of Quedlinburg, one of the most important treasuries in Germany.






The Castle Museum is also located on the castle. It shows the Renaissance rooms of the castle of the Abbess of Quedlinburg and other exhibits about the town's and abbey's history.



The Town Hall of Quedlinburg was first mentioned in the 14th century. Quedlinburg's Roland Statue is located in front of it.


The last card I bought shows some timber-framed houses.


Last Sunday a new special exhibition about Henry I, who was coronated 1100 years ago, was opened in the Collegiate Church and the Castle Museum. For this event also a special postmark was available, which I got on a special cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment