Friday, September 4, 2020

Austria: Mirabell Garden

Last Tuesday I got three postcards from Austria.

One of them shows the Mirabell Garden in Salzburg. The Mirabell Garden was laid out under Prince-Archbishop Johann Ernst von Thun from 1687 onwards. In the geometrically-arranged garden there are mythology-themed statues and sculptures of ancient heroes. Emperor Franz Josef I opened the garden to the public and today they are among the most popular attractions in Salzburg. I visited the garden a few years ago and actually planned to go there again this year, however on my day in Salzburg the weather was too bad to visit a garden. 


While I was in Salzburg the Salzburg Festival was underway. Although I did not saw any opera or such, I visited the state exhibition about the festival in the Salzburg Museum, so it is very special to get a postmark about this year's festival. Also in general I like this postmark very much. Two matching stamp were used. The left is the official stamp about the Centenary of the Salzburg Festival (issued 21-01-2020) and the right one is a personalised stamp about the same theme, which shows the same scene with Jedermann and Death as the postmark.


Thank You very much Anita!

No comments:

Post a Comment