Sunday, March 28, 2021

Germany: Mother Hulda

On 18th February I got four postcards from Germany.

Two of them show Mother Hulda. Mother Hulda or Frau Holle is a German fairy tale collected by the Grimm Brothers. It tells the story of the encounter of two girls with Mother Hulda, who brings the snow by shaking the featherbed. The character of Mother Hulda allegedly dates back to pre-Christian times and survived in popular belief until the 19th century. The first card shows an illustration by Aurélie Blanz. 

Mother Hulda is this year the theme of the German Welfare stamps (issued 04-02-2021). Like usual three stamps were issued and the lowest value became available in three versions, gummed, self-adhesive from booklet and self-adhesive from coil. These three versions with their related First Day Special Postmarks I used on this card.

The second card shows an illustration by Gabriela de Carvalho. While I got the first card through a swap, this one I bought online.

On this card I used the middle value stamp from the set and the First Day Special Postmark from Berlin. I like this set! The third stamp you can see on my blog about Childhood Heroes on Stamps.


Thank You very much Anita for helping me with the first card!

No comments:

Post a Comment