Sunday, December 21, 2014

Germany: Himmelpfort

On Thursday I got five postcards from Germany.

One of the cards is a Christmas card postmarked at the Christmas post office in Himmelpfort. The history of the Christmas post office in Himmelpfort started in 1984 when two children sent letters to Santa Claus in Himmelpfort and as the post clerk did not know what to do with them she answered them herself. Since 1995 the Deutsche Post supports the Christmas post office in Himmelpfort. In 2013 294000 letters arrived in Himmelpfort. 17500 letters arrived from 78 countries in the World, the rest from Germany. The most foreign letters came from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Poland and Japan and for the first time arrived letters from Macao, Myanmar, Nepal and Pakistan. The letters are answered in 17 languages.


Stamp:
Snowman (issued 03-11-2014)
with the special postmark of Himmelpfort's Christmas post office


1 comment:

  1. What an amazingly beautiful postmark! I think this is the most beautiful postmark I have ever seen! I love stars & 12 is my favorite number. I would have loved to have had this postmark for my collection! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete