Monday, May 16, 2016

New Zealand: Infantryman during World War I

On Friday I got three postcards: one from New Zealand, one from Hong Kong and one from Belgium.

The card from New Zealand shows an Infantryman with the New Zealandian Flag during World War I. New Zealand entered World War I on 5th August 1914 alongside the Triple Entente. New Zealand sent nearly 100000 of its 1000000 civics to the war. Of this nearly 18500 did not come back. New Zealand's first duty in World War I was capturing Samoa from the Germans. In 1915 New Zealand's troops fought in Gallipoli and afterwards they were sent to the Western Front. In 1916 they took part in the Battle of the Somme and the Battle of Jutland.


With a related stamp:
Centenary of World War I (from set of ten) (issued 06-04-2016)
Although the participation in the war was not the "great adventure" that was expected, many New Zealanders were still able to satisfy their sense of adventure and explore European soil. The stamp shows the permanent presence of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in London.


Thank You very much Sharon!

No comments:

Post a Comment