Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Germany: Leonardo's World in Hanover

On Friday I got a postcard from Germany.

It is the seventh card I bought during my recent trip to the Lower Saxony State Museum in Hanover. Before the museums were closed due to Covid-19, I was really looking forward to the trip to this museum, as a new special exhibition would have been opened in late March. While the museum published teasers of the exhibition online during the closure, it was just opened in early May. At first face masks had to be worn, but luckily they changed it to a suggestion before my visit on Whit Sunday. While face masks should always be worn when you are not able to keep enough distance, it is actually nice that you can take them off when you are alone in a room (which happens quite often in most museums, but which would not be allowed when the face masks are obligatory). The new exhibition is called Leonardo's World and deals with the life of Leonardo da Vinci. However no actual paintings, drawings or other "real" exhibits were shown in this exhibition, but only videos. In parts this was very nice and after a nearly three-month hiatus I was especially happy to visit a museum again, but otherwise I think I would have been a bit disappointed. Available in the museum shop were some generic postcards of Leonardo's paintings, so I decided to take this one of the Vitruvian Man. 


I used this card to get a special postmark about International Museum Day, which this year was more or less completely digital, as during the preparations it was not clear whether the museums would be allowed to reopen before that date. Here in the region the museums however were allowed to open and mostly offered some small events or at least free entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment