Thursday, October 21, 2021

My Trip to Salzburg

On 27th July I got two postcards: one from Austria and one from Germany.

The card from Austria shows Salzburg. Salzburg is the capital of the Austrian State of Salzburg and the country's fourth largest city. As birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and due to its UNESCO-listed Old Town it is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Austria.

I sent this card to myself when I made a day trip to Salzburg during my summer holidays in Tyrol. I used the new Postcrossing stamp (issued 14-07-2021) and got it cancelled at Salzburg's philatelic shop. 

Of course I also bought some more cards, so let me take you on a journey to one of Europa's most beautiful cities.

My day in the Old Town began at this junction directly behind the Sigmundstor. This card shows the view in the direction of the festival area. The Salzburg Festival took place during my time here, but like usual all "good" (meaning cheap and interesting) tickets were sold out.

Located at the junction is also the Horse Pond. I have seen this one during nearly all my trips to Salzburg, but so far I have never seen a card of it. 

The next stop of the day was the Getreidegasse, where Mozart's Birth House is located. I was there mainly to buy some cards including this one with the famous shop signs, as I realised that I never bought a card of the Getreidegasse during my earlier trips.

This card of the Residence Square I also can not remember to have seen before. The big white building on the right side of the card is the New Residence, which is home to the Salzburg Museum, the Panorama Museum and the philatelic shop. I posted the card above there, but as I visited those museums during earlier visits and went across the square to the Old Residence (it is from where the photo on the card was taken). 

The main attraction I visited this time was the DomQuartier, a museum complex established in 2014 in the Old Residence and adjacent buildings. During the tour I saw the state apartments of the Arch-Bishops of Salzburg, the sacral art collection of the Saint Peter's Monastery and the cathedral's treasure and you get a great inside view of the cathedral. The selection of cards was a bit poor, as most only showed artworks from the Residence Gallery, which during my visit was closed. I bought however cards showing an artwork of one of the state apartments I saw, Bernardo Strozzi's Sleeping Child and an crozier from the collection of the Saint Peter's Monastery. In the city I later also bought a view card of the cathedral which I probably already have. Actually in there is also a shop selling cards of the cathedral's treasure, but that was also closed when I was there. Luckily I already bought cards there during an earlier trip.


After the DomQuartier I also visited the Museum Art of the Lost Generation. That was already my second visit of this museum, although it just opened in 2017. The museum is definitely worth a second visit. It only shows artworks of artists whose careers were terminated by the Nazis and thus keeps their memory alive. 

Last museum of the day of the Christmas Museum. Is there anything better than visiting a Christmas Museum on a hot July day? I had bought cards there for my collection already on an earlier trip, but this was the first time that I visited the exhibitions. I really like this Napoleon Nutcracker. Great to see it on a card. 


That was all I did on a nice day in Salzburg. Two cards I however still have to show and both are about Mozart. The first shows delicious Mozartkugeln and the second shows Mozart with a beard like that one of ESC winner Conchita Wurst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment