Wednesday, December 1, 2021

My Trip to Hamburg

On 3rd November I was in Hamburg.

The first duty of the day was checking the shops at the train station for postcards and I really found a very good one for my new collection of train stations. This card however does not show the Hamburg Hauptbahnhauf, which I already have, but the former Hamburg-Altona Station. This train station was built between 1893 and 1898 by Hermann Eggert, who had already designed the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof. It should be noted that at this time Altona was not yet a district of Hamburg, but an independent city in Prussia. During World War II the train station was badly damaged and rebuilt in a simplified form. In 1974 however it was demolished. 

After buying enough cards I went for a walk to the Museum am Rothenbaum, one of the largest museums of ethnology in Europa. Its full name is Museum am Rothenbaum - Cultures and Arts of the World, which leads to the German abbreviation MARKK. Known as Museum of Ethnology until 2018, it was renamed, as the old name evoked negative associations and emotions in a cosmopolitan and multicultural society. Together with the renaming the museum also underwent a content-related reorientation. This for example includes a constructive dealing with a restitution of objects to their original countries and societies. I had already visited the museum in 2020, but as I enjoyed it very much, I came for this second visit. When I was there two interesting special exhibitions were shown. The first deals with Duala king Rudolf Manga Bell and second showed artifacts from the Silk Road. These first three cards show exhibits from these two exhibitions and the third card shows a Benin Bronze from an upcoming exhibition. The other two cards are about the Día de los Muertos.



No comments:

Post a Comment