Sunday, December 19, 2021

My Trip to Celle

On 24th November I was in Celle.

Celle was founded in 1292. Between 1378 and 1705 it was the residence of the Dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg. The town survived World War II without destruction and thus has a well-preserved historic centre with many timber-framed houses. I like this aerial view.

The first stop of the day was the tourist information where I was looking for cards and indeed I found some very nice ones including those five about modern architecture in the city. Those building were constructed by the architect Otto Haesler, an important proponent of the modern town architecture in the 1920s. 



At the tourist information I also got this card of the house of Albrecht Thaer, a famous German agronomist.

Main reason for my visit here was the Bomann Museum. The Bomann Museum was founded in 1892 and today it is one of the largest museums in Lower Saxony. Its collection focuses on Lower Saxon folklife studies and the history of Celle. Although it is not far away, this was just my second visit after 2017. Unfortunately this museum does not offer many special exhibitions that would attract me. The permanent exhibition however is very nice and definitely worth a second visit after some years. The highlight of the exhibition is the reconstructed interior of a regional farm house. 


At the museum shop I also found this card for my railway station collection. It is an old view of Celle's train station, which due to renovations in the 1910s does not look like this anymore. 

Here are four more cards from the museum. I especially like the one about the postcard vending machine.


At the museum there are some station where you can pick up free postcards. I got those four about the Museum Village Hösseringen, the Garrison Museum in Celle, the Institute of Bee Studies and the historic Waterworks in Oldau.


Last but not least I also bought this set of cards about coins and medals.




No comments:

Post a Comment