Thursday, September 11, 2014

Germany: Landschaftliches Haus in Braunschweig

Today I got two postcards: one from Germany and my first card from the Ross Dependency.

The card from Germany shows the Landschaftliches Haus in Braunschweig. The Landschaftliches Haus housed from the founding of the Duchy of Braunschweig in 1814 until 1946 its state parliament. Since 1994 it houses the Local court. 
In the end phase of World War I the Kiel Mutiny led to nationwide revolution in Germany. Due to this German Revolution of 1918 the monarchy was scrapped within a few days. The time of the German Empire was over and the Weimar Republic was founded. Shortly after the Weimar Republic signed the First Armistice at Compiègne and the World War I was ended. Duke Ernest Augustus of Braunschweig abdicated on 8th November.
I sent this card to myself when I found it yesterday.


Stamp:
Centenary of World War I (issued 07-08-2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment