Friday, March 3, 2017

Israel and World War I

On Monday I got my stamp order from Israel.

One FDC I ordered is about the World War I Centenary (issued 21-06-2016).

At the beginning of World War I the territory of Israel was a part of the Ottoman Empire, but in late 1917 the British Army had occupied a part of Southern Syria, which later became a British Mandate. According to the Balfour Declaration the British government supported the establishment of a home for the Jewish people in Palestine and many Jews escaping the post-revolutionary Russia arrived in Palestine afterwards.


Another stamp I ordered is about the Centenary of Nili (issued 08-12-2015).

Nili was a Jewish espionage network active during World War I, which assisted the United Kingdom in its fight against the Ottoman Empire in Palestine. It was founded in 1915 and was unraveled in 1917.


No comments:

Post a Comment