Sunday, November 30, 2014

Switzerland: Air Force

Yesterday arrived my order from the Swiss Post.

Among some stamps and FDCs I also bought a set of two maxicards. The maxicards celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Swiss Air Force.
Although the Swiss authorities first did not wanted an air force the pilot Theodor Real was instructed to arrange an air force after World War I broke out. He first confiscated three air planes shown at an exhibition in Bern and in 1915 the Federal Council ordered six air planes at the Swiss Federal Constructions Works in Thun. During World War I the Air Force was not used very often. 
Switzerland stayed neutral during World War I but was bordered from 1915 only by belligerent nations. Although Switzerland was not invaded it had big internal problems caused by the occupation of its borders.



I also bought a single mint stamp about the 125th anniversary of the Swiss Field Post.
During World War I single companies started to produce their own soldier stamps. Field Post was sent free of charge.


No comments:

Post a Comment