Thursday, May 11, 2017

Bosnia and Herzegovina: Latin Bridge in Sarajevo

On Saturday I got two postcards: one from Bosnia and Herzegovina and one from the Netherlands.

The card from Bosnia and Herzegovina shows the Latin Bridge in Sarajevo. The Latin Bridge is an Ottoman stone bridge and the oldest preserved bridge in Sarajevo. In 1914 Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife at the northern end of the bridge. This was the immediate cause for the beginning of World War I. During the Yugoslav era the bridge was known as Princip's Bridge.


Usually I do not collect postcards which are not sent from the country of origin, but this card is such a great addition for my World War I collection that I can not complain. ^___^


Thank You very much Marcel!

No comments:

Post a Comment