Thursday, January 26, 2017

United Kingdom: Thiepval Memorial in France

Last Thursday I got three postcards from the United Kingdom.

One of them is a stamp card of 2016's World War I Centenary issue. It shows the Thiepval Memorial in France. The Thiepval Memorial is a British World War I Memorial to the killed soldiers of the Battles of the Somme, which have no known grave. It was unveiled in 1932. 

The Battle of the Somme was fought from the 1st July until the 18th November 1916 between the German Empire and the Triple Entente countries France and the United Kingdom. The battle started with a large-scale offensive of the Triple Entente and ended without an achievement. It was the fiercest battle of the World War I.


With a related stamp:
Queen's Head
World War I Centenary (from set of six) (issued 21-06-2016)
The stamp shows Giles Revell's artwork Battlefield Poppy.
with a special World War I postmark


Thank You very much Kwanjira!

No comments:

Post a Comment