Sunday, August 27, 2017

My Trip to Lake Garda

After my summer holidays in Austria I also spent two days at Lake Garda in Italy. When I was there I sent two cards to myself. The first one, which I have posted in the post office, arrived two weeks ago. The second one, which I put in a normal postbox, finally arrived on Wednesday.

Lake Garda is located in northern Italy in the provinces of Verona, Brescia and Trentino. It is the largest lake of Italy and a popular tourist destination.

A postcard I bought shows a map of Lake Garda.


The first card I sent to myself shows the Venetian Fortress of Peschiera del Garda. Peschiera del Garda is situated on the South East corner of Lake Garda. The Republic of Venice turned the town into a fortress between the 15th and 16th century and large parts of the fortifications can be still seen today. As one of the Venetian Works of Defence is Peschiera del Garda since 2017 on the UNESCO World Heritage List.


Stamp:
EUROPA (from set of two) (issued 09-05-2017)


The second card I sent to myself shows the Castello Scaligero in Malcesine. The Castello Scaligero was built by the Scaliger family in the 13th century. In 1786 Johann Wolfgang Goethe visited the castle during his Italian Journey. Today it is the most famous landmark of Malcesine and houses a museum.


With a matching stamp:
EUROPA (from set of two) (issued 09-05-2017)


Another card I bought shows Lazise. Lazise is a popular tourist destination.


No comments:

Post a Comment