Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Malaysia: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis with ASEAN stamp

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the ASEAN eight member states decided to release a joint issue. The stamps show the member country's national flower. On Saturday I got two postcards from Malaysia with the ASEAN stamp and the First Day Special Postmark. In my collection I already have the stamp of Thailand and I arranged swaps for the stamps from Indonesia and Singapore. If there is anybody who can help me to get the stamps from Cambodia, Laos, the Philippines or Vietnam I would be very happy to swap.

The Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is native to East Asia. It is mainly used as ornamental plant, but it is also used in Chinese herbology. In 1960 it was decided that the Hibiscus rosa-sinensis will be the national flower of Malaysia. In Malay it is known as Bunga Raya meaning celebratory flower. The five petals represent the five National Principles of Malaysia.

As extra bonus both cards were signed by the stamp designer.







Thank You very much Matthew!


No comments:

Post a Comment